Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 Begins with This

I admit it. I am a goal/resolution/organization freak. I am not always good at it but I love the challenge of it every single year. I have 14 pages in my planner of things I would like to do, plan to do, ideas, etc. and charted plans for each of the next 12 months. The things included are simple things but ones that get me to where I want to go for the year. And lest you think, WHAT, 14 PAGES!!! IS SHE CRAZY?, it really is much more about simplifying my life. Knowing what I need to do and when and how - that kind of organization gives me so much margin in my days because I DON'T plan to do too much. Those pages are resources and ideas, not have-to's. The charted months - those are what I work off. And when the end of the year comes, I am not scrambling to finish stuff that should have been done ages ago.


I read Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (most of it anyway) and the one that stood out to me most profoundly was "begin with the end in mind". For a new year beginning this means looking ahead to December 31, 2012 and asking myself, "What would I like to see accomplished/changed and what are some specific ways of getting there?"

Generally, my goals and resolutions fall into categories that are fairly common to most people. So I won't bore you with the details of my lists. (and even though they are common, they are very personal. I think they are shareable only with Elizabeth who understands me! Eric understands and he sees it firsthand.)  I just wanted to share that I find planning the year month by month or even week by week way more effective than setting a goal for the whole year.

Example: I want to read Book A and Book B in the month of January. Book A has 200 pages and Book B has 175 for a total of 375 pages. I divide that number of pages by 31which is just a notch over 12 pages a day. So if I get going and can read 24 pages most days that I can read, I am likely to reach my goal of completing Books A and B in January. And more motivated in February! All of my goals and plans can be worked out in this way. Bite-sized.

This also helps me plug things into my "brain", i.e. daily planner. And yes, I have a paper planner. I cannot and will not use an electronic ANYTHING to schedule my life. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.

So here's to you task-oriented goal oriented folks and here's to you laid back folks who take it as it comes. I know the one thing I want the very most is to be more in love with Jesus than ever at the end of 2012!

I would love to hear all of your new year plans and goals and hopes and dreams.

Because He lives, Janet

1 comment: