Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Treasures in the Box

Eric and I have started going through the accumulated boxes of nearly 34 years of marriage and parts of the lives lived before that. Then there are boxes containing memories of and for Elizabeth and Benjamin. I was struck this morning how intermingled these memories are. How the question "what do I do with THIS?" always ends up being either "Goodwill" or put it in Elizabeth's box. (Being the firstborn comes with privileges AND curses.)

When we see these headlines, we always reflect on "where was I?" When JFK was assassinated, I was in the third grade and on the playground. School was dismissed that day.

When Armstrong walked on the moon, I was at my friend Carolyn's house and I remember watching it on television and then going into her front yard and staring at the full moon with amazement. MEN ARE WALKING AROUND UP THERE.

                     Then there was the time I turned 15...This really hip card was from my
                  mom and is in my scrapbook from high school which is really falling apart.


For some strange reason, I lettered in orchestra. They must have had extra "letters" that year. I was never really any good at an instrument and didn't care all that much. Social event for me mainly.



Graduation from high school, one year of college, joined the Navy, met Eric, got married. All wrapped up right there. What to do with these pictures? I know! Put them in Elizabeth's box!


High school pennants for football games. A tin with Elizabeth and Ben's baby teeth in it. Yeah, I know. Eeeww. A Navy commendation medal. A pajama bag that I had as a toddler. Antique! Elizabeth's assorted stuff from Korea, a vest, toy bag and slippers.

Where do collections of old treasures and memories go to die?  No one can keep this stuff forever. The things, the stuff, the memories. How on earth, literally, to deal with them? Downsizing is a reality for all of us at some point. What to keep? What to throw? How to do it? How to organize it? And why?

I guess that is the big question for me - Why? Anyone have any thoughts on this? And how have YOU kept YOUR memory boxes? And what treasures do YOU keep?

1 comment:

  1. I'm such a pack rat. I don't know if I'll get the hang of keeping vs. throwing. I am so grateful for your attitude about things. "Things are replaceable. People are not," you say. THAT thought has kept me in good stead and I think as long as people are more important than things, I'll feel confident about my decisions. It's been easier to throw things away when I remember that stuff is just stuff and I can't take it to heaven! But um...don't throw that green table away, okay? ;) Love you.

    ReplyDelete